Re: [AMBER] Problem in Using the Average Command in Cpptraj

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:04:43 -0600

Hi,

Why do you need an average structure of a water box? This seems strange to
me since all of the rotation and translation undergone by the water over
the course of a simulation will result in something strange. The average
command is of more use (in my opinion) when looking at solute molecules,
and even then you do something like RMS-fit prior to averaging to remove
global rotational/translational motion.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Robert Molt <rwmolt07.gmail.com> wrote:

> center :1-550
> image familiar

It is recommended that autoimage be used instead of center/image in most
cases.

-Dan

> average Water_550_Average.pdb pdb
>
> The structure I get is a very sparse water box. I obviously am not
> imaging properly the water molecules from the "center" box (for lack of
> knowing what to call it). My understanding is that "image" puts all
> waters in the "center" box, "familiar" is necessary for a truncated
> octahedron. Is my mistake obvious to anyone?
>
> --
> Dr. Robert Molt Jr.
> r.molt.chemical.physics.gmail.com
> Nigel Richards Research Group
> Department of Chemistry & Chemical Biology
> Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
> LD 326
> 402 N. Blackford St.
> Indianapolis, IN 46202

Daniel R. Roe, PhD