[AMBER] About charge derivation for enantiomers

From: Tommaso Casalini <tommaso.casalini.mail.polimi.it>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 22:51:40 +0200

Dear Ambers users and developers,

I have to derive atomic charges for Ibuprofen, which has two enantiomeric
forms.
I should study the diffusion of anionic ibuprofen in a negatively charged
matrix.

I have already had a look at the past messages in the mailing list, as well
as in the RED website (where is topic is discussed) but I still have not a
clear idea about how to proceed.

As far as I could understand, the set of atomic charges for two enantiomers
should be the same, in order to properly compare, e.g., binding affinities.

My question is: is there an optimal, or suggested, charge derivation
protocol?

In principle, I could compute through RESP the charges for one enantiomer,
and "copy" the same set for its mirrored image. I could also perform a
multiconformational fit using both structures.

Since I am a little bit confused, I would like to ask if you have some
suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tommaso Casalini
Postdoctoral fellow.ETH Zuerich