Re: [AMBER] accuracy of FEW free energy calculation

From: Robert Molt <rwmolt07.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:43:10 -0400

1.) The better idea would be

a.) Make a real incentive to review articles well. People don't take
reviewing seriously; they just accept papers quickly (because it's fast)
or reject (because it's fast or the reviewer feels threatened), not
examine a paper carefully. We need to have either a requirement or
monetary incentive or something. The reviewing system *is *broken; there
is very, very little incentive to review papers other than to squash a
competitor.

b.) Remove the single blind system; make all reviews public or double
blind (it makes NO sense that the reviewers see your name but you cannot
see theirs). Right now, if you disagree with a previous author, they
reject your paper outright and there are no repercussions (can't prove
it was him/her).

I say this on the back of a paper being rejected with CCSD(T)/CBS
calculated transition state barriers giving a qualitatively different
result than prior B3LYP/6-31G* studies, but the reviewer said "Nope,
problem's already solved with B3LYP/6-31G*, nothing new here, reject."

2.)

"If someone gets away with falsifying a study, it's because that study
wasn't worth repeating and disproving. So who cares? If someone
falsifies something important, others will try to reproduce it and the
study will be eventually disproven (see Wakefield et al., 1998)"

The "who cares" part is that those people get funding, others do not.
Resources are wasted on terrible studies. The "who cares" is that
misinformation gets spread and becomes fact. My favorite example is the
"cult of 1 kcal/mol." Curiously, every method, quantum to force field,
always claims to be accurate to 1 kcal/mol. This certainly has been
going on since the 90s, perhaps further back. They never claim to be
some number other than 1 kcal/mol...never 2, never 3 kcal/mol...always
1. It's a marvelous coincidence that all methods just so happen to be
accurate to this one particular number out of all the possible numbers.

Or you can take it as a sign of a problem in our fields.

--
Dr. Robert Molt Jr.
r.molt.chemical.physics.gmail.com