Re: [AMBER] accuracy of FEW free energy calculation

From: Albert <mailmd2011.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 09:10:37 +0200

If you are working for Schrodinger, then you can skip all my comments in
the mail list since you will find countless explanations, or excuses,
for the unexpected results.

(1) I wish I could repeat the JACS paper result by myself which is not
feasible for my. (a) FEP+ must run in the same machine and it requires
at least 4 powerful Tesla GPU workstation to do this. I only have 1 such
kind of machine which gives me 0.5 compounds/day. In the JACS benchmark,
it refers to hundred of compounds which means it will take 1 year to be
done (b) checking the quality of the publication, it is the duty of the
JACS editor instead of mine.

(2) Of course Schrodinger is not stupid, because they are too SMART to
do many things including cheating. I know Schrodinger treat many
scientist as their cheap labors and them they labeled themselves as
scientist. Unfortunately, this won't change the businessman's
personality. Making money is the only goal they care and to achieve it,
anything possible could happen. So, many original free open source
software is no longer free after in-cooperated into Schrodinger.
However, this doesn't necessarily mean it becomes better after
commercialization. One typical example is Modeller in DiscoveryStudio:
the efficiency become much slower than the open source version and even
sometimes we find some problems of accuracy.

(3) Unfortunately, my colleague and I working on Schrodinger so many
years and we never have such good luck that Glide scoring function never
works fine in ranking compounds affinity.

(4) In the JACS paper and recent FEP+ online Webex, Schrodinger showed
many different targets and all of them looks perfect. It is a kind of
promise to the users that this tool can guarantee a good results for
nowadays many popular system. I am lucky, the target working on belongs
to the one of the perfect class they showed in the benmark. But I am not
lucky enough, since FEP+ from Schrodinger doesn't work at all for me.

Of course you can claim in that way. For the same target, you tell
people sometimes it works and some times it doesn't. This only ruin this
tool to be not working at all, since before new compounds synthesizing
out, this tool is not competent to predict whether it is going to work
or not.

For my case, there are 5 class of compounds for the same target and,
unfortunately, none of them works by Schrodinger FEP+. However, I
obtained very impressive results from inexpensive methods MM/PBSA which
gives me R^2=0.5-0.8.

regards

Albert