Re: [AMBER] accuracy of FEW free energy calculation

From: Albert <mailmd2011.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 07:08:42 +0200

Hi Ross:

thanks a lot for such honest comments.

I just knew it, they were using many cheating and tricks in that JACS paper
and made such beautiful story to the outside. As far as I know, Schrodinger
is going to sell this product to many big pharmaceutical company with
bloody price that you cannot imagine. However, after asthmatically testing,
most of them dump it which I could expect in advance.

For science part, the Schrodinger FEP Mapper solvate the protein/ligand
complex in a 5A TIP3P box and then produce 5ns MD in all for ligand. It
assigned OPLS-2.1, which claimed to be the most accurate FF for small
molecules, for the system. The job is primarily running on GPU. I don't
know whether this will lead to the converge of the calculation or not for
Alchemical FEP. Meanwhile, in this mapper stuff, if one provide
experimental date in the input file, they will use some mathematical
function to "MAKE" you final results correlate the data one provided at the
beginning. Probably that's one of the key reason why the plot in that JACS
paper looks so perfect. If this is the case, then the plot is totally a
fake and unreliable, it is a totally commercial strategy.

For my own MM/PBSA case, I solvate the protein/ligand complex in a 10 A box
with TIP3P model. I introduced AMBER99sb-star-ILDNP FF for protein and GAFF
for the ligand. Partial charge was calculated by RESP QM methods. Even
considering the QM calculation time, it is only 3 days to be done for the
whole calculation (QM for RESP, MD simulation & MM/PBSA). I simulated 6 ns
for each system. Entropy wasn't considered in the MM/PBSA calculation.

It seems that CPU/GPU resources consuming and bloody price doesn't ensure
us better results at all. It's even worse if one don't use cheating and
tricks.

regards

Albert