Re: [AMBER] cpptraj : gzip or bzip2 netcdf trajectory files not recognized

From: Gerald Monard <Gerald.Monard.univ-lorraine.fr>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:28:10 +0200

Hi Daniel,

A good point is raised here.

I've made a small test, but from experience it's the same for bigger
systems: I run a molecular dynamics and saved the same number of steps
(ntwx) with ioutfm = 0 or ioutfm = 1, then I compressed the files. The
results are the following:
-rw-r--r-- 1 gmonard users 6777381 Jun 17 19:52 tmp.crd-ioutfm0
-rw-r--r-- 1 gmonard users 2527101 Jun 17 19:53 tmp.crd-ioutfm0.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 gmonard users 3348408 Jun 17 19:51 tmp.crd-ioutfm1
-rw-r--r-- 1 gmonard users 3004141 Jun 17 19:53 tmp.crd-ioutfm1.gz

This means that indeed using ioutfm=1 gives a lower file size than
ioutfm=0, but the compression of the ASCII file yields the smallest file
size... which can be directly used by trajin.

Does this mean that, if size matters, it's better to use ioutfm=0?
What's the advantage, except size, of using the NetCDF format?

Gerald

  Prof. Gerald MONARD
  SRSMC, Université de Lorraine, CNRS
  Boulevard des Aiguillettes B.P. 70239