Re: [AMBER] Doubt about ligand binding in proteins

From: Kenneth Huang <kennethneltharion.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 13:51:22 -0400

Gustavo,

That depends a lot of what you're trying to see, how well resolved the
crystal structure is, if your binding site is missing large portion, etc.
If you have a structure that is missing noticeable pieces, especially in
the area you're interested in, it'd be a smart idea to let the
'whole' structure equilibrate before placing the ligand into it and then
carrying out your simulation.

If you're just taking a crystal structure that more or less complete and
has everything you want, then I imagine the ligand should be fine just
being added to the PDB and being considered for minimization.

Best,

Kenneth

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Gustavo Avelar Molina <
gustavoavelarmolina.usp.br> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been asking myself whether it is appropriate to place a ligand in a
> protein (be it through covalent bonding or not) after its minimization or
> equilibration. Or is it more appropriate to do the modification just by
> using the original protein PDB as the atomic coordinates source? I'm
> assuming here that there are no experimental data about the atomic
> coordinates of the bound protein.
>
> I would be grateful if someone could explain it me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Gustavo

Ask yourselves, all of you, what power would hell have if those imprisoned
here could not dream of heaven?