[AMBER] Determining number of molecules from a point by integration using xmgrace

From: Sylvester Tumusiime <stumusii.uno.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 19:48:26 +0000

   Dear Amber user,
   I came across this advice on the amber mailing list concerning the use of
   xmgrace to determine number of water molecules from a point:

   "It sounds to me like the analysis you want to do is to calculate a radial

   distribution function in ptraj (which will effectively give you a graph of

   how many solvent molecules are present as a function of distance from a

   given solute mask). This is described in the manual via the "radial"

   command.

   If you integrate the RDF from 0 to whichever distance you want, that should

   give you the number of water molecules within that distance cutoff of the

   Zn ion (something that xmgrace does very easily under

   Data->Transformations->Integration)".

   My question is asked to clarify on the point made in the advice. From my
   understanding, the value given after following: Data -> Transformations ->
   Integration is the total number of water molecules (i.e. the area under the
   entire curve from 0 to the last point on the x-axis). Am i correct in
   assuming that? I have performed a test where i have a smaller value on the
   x-axis as the end point and it seems to agree with this assumption. Am only
   asking so as to make sure that my assumption is not wrong.

   Thank you

   Syl