Re: [AMBER] DNS manipulations

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 17:19:21 -0700

Have we a measurent of the resulting load on the sdsc servers? I'm guessing it is minimal, but that would be a possible follow-on weakness. And it would be interesting to know the scale of the traffic.

Thanks,
Bill

Essentially how it works is that a DNS query goes to the central top level .org DNS server and looks up who is the authority for the name, in this case freeparking and then checks against that account which DNS servers should serve for this name. It's the listing of which DNS servers that freeparking says run ambermd.org that I changed.

For now it looks to be working. The underlying issue is that there are 4 freeparking domain servers labelled ns1,ns2,n3,ns4 .ukdnsservers.com and the other domains I have with them are all okay and work fine. Weirdly the ambermd.org domain server ended up getting listed as ns19 and ns20 which don't exist. I tried changing that to ns1,2,3,4 but those servers just redirect queries to ns19 and 20 and the management interface for freeparking doesn't provide any way to edit the entries for ambermd.org on ns 1 to 4. Not sure how the change to ns19 / 20 happened, sounds like a bug in their script to me, but now at least we have what should be a more reliable alternative.

All the best
Ross