Re: [AMBER] Free energy calculation: Thermodynamic integration with use of restraints

From: <hannes.loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:12:34 +0000

So, what you want to do is an "absolute" free energy calculation with the TI code. You also want to only couple a set of restraints to lambda. If I understand the Boresch' method correctly you would need to define six such restraints: one bond, two angles, three dihedrals. Right?

Sorry, I'm not too well at the moment so I may get this wrong but wouldn't it be possible to define those restraints in terms of existing atoms and introduce additional bonds, angles and dihedrals between them. In the input file you would then define the TI region by including those atoms only while the softcore mask is empty. Maybe that's a plan but I would have to rethink it. The only other idea I can come up with is to create multiple topology files with those additional terms pre-scaled by the current lambda but then you would need to do a EXP/BAR estimation for the associated free energy as I can't see at the moment how this could be fit into the TI formalism.

Cheers,
Hannes.