Re: [AMBER] post processing temperature replica exchange trajectories

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 20:57:03 -0600

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM, Sandeep Somani <ssomani.gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. use ensemble keyword of cpptraj to extract trajectories for each
> temperature
> 2. process each trajectory via sander using imin=5
> 3. grep out energy values from the generated mdout files

Seems fine - by the way you can also read those mdout files directly
into cpptraj or mdout_analyzer.py, so you may be able to skip the
'grep'.

> This works, but the sander step is quite slow.

If you've got access to a multi-core machine you should be able to use
the MPI version of sander for some speedup here.

> I think the same information can be extracted from the original mdout files
> and rem.log file.

Unfortunately no, not exactly. The integration scheme results in the
energies and coordinates being offset by a timestep. The way that
you're doing it is the best way to obtain the exact energies from your
coordinates (especially for replica trajectories).

> Is there a cpptraj command for this?

There will be a command in the upcoming cpptraj release, 'energy',
which will allow the computation of simple energy terms (bond, angle,
dihedral, vdw + electrostatic with no PBC) but for other energy terms
(gb, PME nonbond) sander is still your best bet.

-Dan

> Or does anyone have a script to share? :-)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Sandeep
>
> ---
>
> Sandeep Somani