Re: [AMBER] [q4md-fft] Fwd: D- amino acids in ff10

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 18:51:42 +0100

Dear Carlos,

> This is true in principle, but the amino acid charges were not developed
> using oligos.

Yes

> The effects you mention could be true for any conformational
> change and would need a polarizable model to do more accurately.

This is well-known for conformations - this is far less obvious for
diastereoisomers, which are 'potentially' different 'molecules' (they
share different properties: NMR spectra, chromatography retention
time, etc...). We had this same discussion in 2004 ;-)

One could imagine designing different FF libraries for different
diastereoisomers (for instance two different FF libraries for the DLD
and a DDD tri-aminoacid fragments can be constructed with different
charge values; different residue names can be used to differentiate
them) while for sure different conformations of a given molecule share
the same FF library! So conformations & enantiomers have to be treated
'the same way' i.e. with a common FF library, while diastereoisomers
_can_ be differentiated without the introduction of a pol. force
field: is it needed? Well, I do not know ;-)

regards, Francois