Re: [AMBER] PCA_representation_in_Cpptraj

From: Juan Eiros Zamora <j.eiros-zamora14.imperial.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:37:50 +0000

Hi all,

I would like to hop on in this discussion. I have been using this
procedure to analyze my classical MD trajectories using the following
cpptraj script

~~~~
parm *.prmtop
trajin *.nc

rms first
average avg.nc
run

reference avg.nc [ref1]
matrix covar name matrixdat .CA out covmat-ca.dat
diagmatrix matrixdat out evecs-ca.dat vecs 10
run

projection modes evecs-ca.dat out pca-ca.dat beg 1 end 2 .CA
run

readdata pca-ca.dat
runanalysis hist pca-ca.dat:2 pca-ca.dat:3 free 300 out fhist-all.CA.gnu
bins 400
~~~~

I am a bit confused with the settings that have to be used for PCA
analysis. To my understanding, the first few PC are responsible for the
majority of the variance of the system. Therefore, is there a reason why
you calculate 174 PCs? I thought that maybe only calculating 10 would be
enough? Also, why do you set beg 1 end 3 in your projection function? If
one wants to plot the 1st PC vs. the 2nd PC only beg 1 end 2 is needed I
presume.

Additionally, I am not quite sure how the last line of code works. I do
not understand how changing the default bin size affects the
calculation, should I just leave it as default (erase it from my script)
if I want to analyze classical MD trajectory?

Thanks in advance,

Juan Eiros