Re: [AMBER] AMBER 14 DPFP single energy calculations inconsistent

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:35:16 -0500

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Ilyas Yildirim <iy222.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> It seems that when new atom types are used in amber14 and prmtop/inpcrd
> files are created with amber14's Leap, pmemd.cuda_DPFP gives the same
> energies. When, however, the prmtop/inpcrd files are created with amber12's
> Leap, this is not the case. If ff12SB by itself was used to create
> prmtop/inpcrd files, the energies come out to be the same at each run.

I think the golden standard is to use sander/pmemd CPU code to
validate GPU code. I found that lots of GB parameters are hard coded
in CUDA version and users can still change their values (like
`offset`) without getting proper warning.

Hai Nguyen
Simmerling lab

>> the specific igb value (GB model). Are there specific sets of frcmod/atom
>> type that don't mix well with particular intrinsic radii set and specific
>> gb model?
>> Thanks
>> Carlos
>> On Jan 30, 2015 10:11 AM, "Ilyas Yildirim" <iy222.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> To MODERATOR: I've sent the same email today early morning with some
>>> attachments, but the size of the attachments were too big, which required
>>> the moderator to decide to post or not. I am re-sending the email without
>>> the attachments; thus, please discard and do not send the previous email
>>> the list.
>>>
>>> Dear Jason, Scott, Dave, and Ross,
>>>
>>> I have been reading this thread since Rosie described the problem with
>>> the
>>> energies coming out different at each new calculation. Scott and Jason
>>> were
>>> talking about the problem arising due to the GB model, or the method it
>>> is
>>> being used by cuda. So, I provided Rosie with a new prmtop/inpcrd input
>>> set
>>> directly created with ff12SB force field. The new set seems to work fine.
>>> The previous one was created with new frcmod/lib files loaded over
>>> ff12SB.
>>> The new frcmod has new atom types in it, and it seems that those are the
>>> ones causing the problem (though it is not clear yet to me why energies
>>> are
>>> different at the end). You can check out the prmtop.notworking and
>>> prmtop.working from the following address:
>>>
>>> http://www-wales.ch.cam.ac.uk/rosie/new_input/
>>>
>>> While creating the prmtop.notworking file, I used the following leap
>>> script to create it.
>>>
>>> ---------- xleap.in -----------
>>> source leaprc.ff12SB
>>> addPdbAtomMap {
>>> { "OP1" "O1P" } { "OP2" "O2P" }
>>> { "HO5'" "H5T" } { "HO3'" "H3T" }
>>> { "H5'" "H5'1" } { "H5''" "H5'2" }
>>> { "H2'" "H2'1" } { "H2''" "H2'2" }
>>> }
>>> addAtomTypes {
>>> { "DH" "H" "sp3" }
>>> { "C1" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C2" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C3" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C4" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C5" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C6" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C7" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "C8" "C" "sp2" }
>>> { "CI" "C" "sp3" }
>>> { "OZ" "O" "sp3" }
>>> }
>>> loadamberparams ./libraries/frcmod.parmCHI
>>> loadamberparams ./libraries/frcmod.ionsjc_tip3p
>>> loadoff ./libraries/dna.parm99chi.parmbsc.off