Re: [AMBER] FEP

From: <hannes.loeffler.stfc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:52:10 +0000

Well, my definition is essentially what you say about being mathematically identical that is the user can swap both codes and expect the "same" result (ignoring for the moment the different setup and the fact that sander can't do the lambda end states).

Of course, pmemd does dual-topology, as well as single-topology (in effect at least) for direct conversion of atoms through linear scaling. So it is a hybrid. The elimination of terms for pmemd is actually an artefact of the setup with leap. But that's because you may explicitly need to copy all or part of your system to get leap do the right thing (proteins). If you do (non-covalently bound) ligands you don't need this step obviously.

I don't quite understand your second paragraph about computing the averages.

I am not sure if there is currently sufficient evidence to say that MBAR is more efficient than TI or vice versa.

Cheers,
Hannes.