Re: [AMBER] PCA variance using Freq = 108.587 * sqrt( 0.6 / Eigenvalue )

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:26:03 -0700

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 10:40 PM, Muthukumaran R <kumaran.bicpu.edu.in> wrote:
> To calculate variance, it is necessary to obtain all the eigen values of a
> system. This can be obtained using 'thermo' keyword and 'thermo' runs only
> with mass-weighted covariance matrix.
> Hence mass-weighted covariance matrix was used.
>
> Is there any other way to calculate variance without using mass-weighted
> covariance matrix ?

I'm not clear on what you mean by 'variance' here. It's not necessary
to mass-weight a coordinate covariance matrix to obtain eigenvalues,
but it does change the units (when mass-weighted eigenvalues are
converted to frequencies to enable quasi-harmonic analysis). In your
original email you mention PCA, which implies (to me at least) using
the non-mass-weighted coordinate covariance matrix. Maybe if you
provide some more details on the analysis you're trying to perform I
can try to give more specific advice.

-Dan