Re: [AMBER] Lipid 14 format problem

From: Romero, Raquel <raquel.romero.12.ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 13:38:46 +0000

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your replies, I will now explain the protocol I followed in order you to completely understand my problem:
( For a 300 DPPC lipid membrane with no proteins):

1. Converting the pre-equilibrated, solvated and neutralised DPPC membrane using the script charmmlipid2amber and the reference table charmmlipid2amber.csv (after this steps the each lipid is a single residue with a TER card after each one).

2. Obtaining box dimensions using the script vmd_box_dims.sh.

3. Loading the system into tleap in order to obtain amber parameters. Setting box dimensions using the values obtained in the step above. ( After saving pdb in this step it is observed that each lipid got divided into 3 residues with a TER card after each one, however it seems to have bonds between residues.)

4. EM: 20000 steps (7500 steepest descent), ntb=1. (After this step pdb structure of the system was obtained using ambpdb and it is observed that each lipid got divided into 3 residues with a TER card after each one)

5. Heating 1: Up to 100 K in 2500 steps holding lipid fixed with soft restraints (10.0). NTV. (ntb=1)

6. Heating 2: Up to 325 K (temperature recommended in references for a DPPC system) in 50000 steps holding lipid fixed with soft restraints (10.0). NTP (ntb= 2)

(After heating pdb was obtained using cpptraj it is observed that each lipid got divided into 3 residues with a TER card after each one. The structure of the lipid seem to be a whole, heads and tails remain together).

7. Hold: 5ns MD NTP in 10 steps and skinnb=5. The system resists the whole simulation, the simulation doesnīt stop running. However lipids get very close to each other forming a very compact and small structure in the centre of the box in which tails and heads are separated and the solvent expands a lot leaving huge gaps in between molecules. (My supervisor described it as the system was blowing up).

NB: Here itīs been described the protocol followed for only the membrane but i have got the same problem when i do it with the anchored protein and when i heat the system up to 303 K in less steps).

Many many thanks for your help.

Sincerely

Raquel