Re: [AMBER] Fwd: NVE GPU question

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:05:52 -0500

Are you SHAKEing bonds with Hydrogen? If so, did you look at the effect
that the SHAKE tolerance had on energy conservation? A big difference
between an IL and water with respect to constraint solving is that water
constraints can be solved analytically (so you shouldn't see any kind of
energy drift coming from water regardless of what the SHAKE tolerance is, I
think).

If the solvent becomes mostly molecules with more than 3 points and
restraints, you can't solve their constraint equations using SETTLE and
have to fall back to the iterative SHAKE algo (and hence, the tolerance
becomes more important). This would explain why the drift is larger with
IL than with water-and-protein (unless I'm missing something).

HTH,
Jason

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University