Re: [AMBER] diffusion time step

From: newamber list <newamberlist.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 21:24:11 +0000

Dear Daniel,

Thanks.

>Depending on how many frames are in that 12-14 ps and how many
>particles you're averaging over it could be - however fitting a line
>to only 6 points seems like that's not enough data to me.

Mostly number of particles averaged are 50,000 to 100,000 in 20 to 50 ns
time scale (frames saved after 2 ps) in volume of approx. 400 Angstrom^3.
Is this enough? Roughly I found regular stay time of majority particles in
this volume was 14 to 20 ps. (Even the same ion lets say stay from t to t+6
ps in that volume and comes back in from t+10 to t+x ps then I count it as
two different events of stay). Thus beyond I don't expect to have a linear
relation.

>> Sure, you have 5x less data if you're saving 1 frame every 10 ps as
opposed to 2 ps, but particles aren't >>going to do all that much more in
that interval at the speeds particles will travel in simulations at
>>typical temperatures

Somehow I think (wrong?) diffusion calculation will depend on volume so
chosen and minimal time step as explained with this example: Assume huge
bulk water with ions simulation and you have trajectory for each 1ps then
it will not matter if you do calculation on full box with different time
steps diffusion coeff will not change. But if calculated in extremely small
volume in the bulk box itself then I think one need to reduce the time step
as well (such a extremely small volume that ion can jump within 1ps in such
case I need to save trajectory less than 1 ps time step). In summary what I
am thinking is (wrong?!) diffusion calculation will be wrong in such case
even if I average on large number of particles.

Cpptraj does MSD calculations considering initial position. Considering
this and above situation (small volume and regular time stay of 14-20ps)
lets take an example in case of every 10 ps frame saved trajectory: Lets
say at time t ion was inside small volume and the ion move out and comes
back in but I will see that it moved only a little in t+10 ps time as I
have no information of t+10 - t time scale. I will wrongly interpret it as
slow diffusion. I think is true for a case of extremely small volume even

>> but it is important that there be no imaging in your input trajectory

Yes, I have taken care.

regards,
Jiom