Re: [AMBER] Hbond Difference For Ambertools 12 and 14, or bug

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:59:33 -0600

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM, <leexa.intern.bii.a-star.edu.sg> wrote:
> I have uploaded both ambertools12 and ambertools14 files. The VMD cutoff was
> done with an angle of 60, and also at 3.5A, which is equivalent to the ones
> with ambertools.

First, your AmberTools 12 calculation used ptraj, which has very
different hydrogen bond functionality. For one thing, the definitions
of hydrogen bond donor and acceptor are reversed in ptraj compared to
cpptraj. A brief comparison of the output shows that very different
numbers of donors and acceptors are defined, so the results shouldn't
match anyway.

Second, in your cpptraj input you specified ':WAT' as your
solventacceptor mask, meaning all 3 atoms are considered acceptors,
which is clear from your output:

> Set up 11172 solvent acceptors
> Set up 7448 solvent donors

You probably want to specify only :WAT.O for the solventacceptor mask.

> One thing that is puzzling is that from basic chemistry,a H only has one
> hbond, which is why i think that a fraction of 2.5900 for the TYR_44.HH is
> high, or unless i have made a mistake in the command.

I disagree, particularly for water - just google 'bifurcated hydrogen
bond'. Remember that in the Amber force field there is by default no
explicit hydrogen bonding term; those interactions occur within the
Lennard-Jones/Coulomb parts of the FF equation, so the hydrogen
hydrogen bonds you get in simulations aren't necessarily hydrogen
bonds the way a chemist would think of them. A lot may depend on what
water model you are using as well.

I think Dave's suggestion of running your calculation on a few frames
so you can be certain you are setting up your calculation properly is
an excellent one. In particular pay attention to the output from
cpptraj about what is being selected. You can specify 'debug actions
1' prior to the 'hbond' command to get some more information on your
solute donors/acceptors.

Hope this helps,

-Dan