Re: [AMBER] average structure with RMSF or RMSD?

From: Matt Alegrete <matthew.alegrete.28.my.csun.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:27:01 -0700

The easier way I've been able to achieve this is by using loadcrd and crdaction commands, ie:

loadcrd md1.traj
crdaction md1.trj rms first :{mask}
crdaction md1.trj average avg.trj

So from what I understand this will load your trajectory as a coordinate data set, the rms command overwrites this file in memory (not the file on disk!) to rms fit each frame to the first frame as a reference, using whatever mask you provide (:* fits all residues), and then average averages the trajectory to get a single frame with average trajectory and saves it to avg.trj. You can then use trajin with your original md1 file to do the rms with your average as a reference.

Be careful if you have waters in your trajectory/parm, as sometimes that will mess up the rms fit. You can use strip to get waters out if the average structure looks funky in VMD.

Matt Alegrete
California State University, Northridge