Re: [AMBER] Force field ff99SB*-ILDN request

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 21:17:28 -0400

Hi Thomas,
As I said I have not made systematic comparisons. Much of force field
development and validation is about philosophy of what the developer feels
is the best target. All of these ff94 variants (and charmm and others)
have a very limited functional form. They aren't going to work well in all
cases. I think it's important to understand what the goals in fitting were,
and to make sure that the properties used in fitting and validation are
similar to your project goals. These vary widely. It would be great if
every force field worked for all problems, but then we'd probably have
poorly converged data. We often sacrifice broad transferability for speed
(accuracy for precision).

I'm sure these issues aren't new to you - I'm mostly saying them so others
following this thread know my opinions since they do influence my choice of
targets for fitting and validation in the SB force fields. I'm aware that
we can't do everything well, so I do try to put effort into understanding
the limitations in the models I develop. We did some of that I'm the
original 99SB article, but it's hard to do systematic studies when so many
variants get developed. Those are valuable studies, though, so when people
see them it's very helpful to give them close study and see if the testing
matches the type of applications that you plan to carry out. In my
experience that's crucial, since there simply won't be a "best" force field
given the simple functional form.

This is all a long way of qualifying my previous statement. I would not say
that 14sb is the best force field. For what we do, it works well. We do
have studies that aren't out yet showing what I think is significant
improvement for the side chains. The backbone tweaks are fairly minor, as
they were in ff99sb* and other variants people made to our ff99sb backbone
parameters. It's likely some will work better for some systems than others
(IDPs for example). We use 14sb because it was designed to work well for
the kinds of things I do, and what some other people do.

I guess what I'm saying is that people should not expect there to be one
force field better than all others (yet). All include some character of the
people that designed them, and they probably work best in the domain where
they had training data. As I tell people here often, my suggested strategy
is to ask on the support lists how to solve a technical problem, but for
"best practices" it's always best to look in the literature for successful
studies that addresses problems similar to your own goals, and follow their
protocols. In other words, start with the science, and pick the methods
that work best. Don't start with an idea of the best method and assume it
will work for your goals.

Again, Thomas - I don't mean this to be a direct response to you since
you're quite experienced. This thread just made me think about voicing some
opinions that I have. I expect others will have different opinions - that's
why much of this field is still an art and we don't all use the same tools.

Best regards, Carlos