Re: [AMBER] parallel cuda test errors

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 13:00:23 -0700

Hi Gard,

Have you applied all the latest patches? - In particular update.6 which
address 8 GPU count runs - and may impact 4 GPU runs as well.

The errors for 4 GPU runs should not be any larger than 2 GPUs so
something is clearly wrong here - the problem is I don't have access to
any 4 ways C2050 systems anymore - haven't for a long time - and old fermi
cards take a very different code path to modern cards so it is possible
the problem is just in that code path.

Firstly are you actually seeing speedup over 4 GPUs for explicit solvent
runs? - This seems unlikely since the only systems to support 4 way peer
to peer are the custom built CirraScale machines that we are developing.
So for 4 GPUs here it must be going through the chipset which would slow
things down a lot. Although maybe S2050's are slow enough that that is not
an issue.

If you do see a worthwhile speed improvement on 4 GPUs then we can have a
go at fixing it but it is likely to need access to your machine or other
identical hardware.

All the best
Ross