Re: [AMBER] Using setbox command to prepare files for Umbrella Sampling

From: George Green <soyo.green.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 18:58:46 +0100

Just to clarify:

1) I ran a simulation of a ligand entering a protein binding pocket.

2) I needed to strip out frames ~0.4A apart as input starting structures
for different umbrella sampling windows.

3) Initially I was attempting to use cpptraj to try and put the box in.
However, I realised that Jason has a helpful script called
get_restarts.py that outputs restart files from the initial trajectory. I
opted to use this and manually modified the box information on the last
line to match that of the parameter file used in step1.

4) However, now I have a problem during minimisation which tends to stall
and quit for some of the restart files that form the basis of the various
US windows. I am currently trying to employ a more gentle two step
minimisation to try and avoid the minimiser stopping:

####################
step1 minimisation - hold all atoms with weak force
 &cntrl
   imin=1, ntmin=1, maxcyc=350, ncyc=200,
    ntb=1, ntpr=5, ntwr=100000, drms=0.05,
    cut=12.0, ntxo=2, ioutfm=1, NTR=1,
    ntc=1, ntf=1,
    ntb=1, ntp=0,
 &end
Group input for restrained atoms
0.5
RES 1 8866
END
END
###################

Then:

####################
step2 minimisation - unrestrained min
 &cntrl
   imin=1, ntmin=1, maxcyc=350, ncyc=200,
    ntb=1, ntpr=5, ntwr=100000, drms=0.05,
    cut=12.0, ntxo=2, ioutfm=1,
    ntc=1, ntf=1,
    ntb=1, ntp=0,
 &end
 &wt
  type='END',
 &end
DISANG=restraint_list_${frame}.dist

I'm hoping that you might have some suggestions regarding a better
minimsation protocol, or alternatively a better way to create the inpcrds
for umbrella sampling?

Many thanks.