[AMBER] problem with chamber & vmd generated psf (line 2349 of file psfprm.F90)

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:36:59 -0400

Marc has been helping me off-list to get the chamber conversion inside
ParmEd working (many thanks to him!), and we stumbled upon a chamber issue
that may be of interest to anybody using CGenFF to create stream files for
custom residues (particularly Sarah who has been a helpful contributor to
this thread).

After we finally got ParmEd working, the chamber-style topology files it
produced started giving different answers than chamber, which is a bit
worrying. Looking into the problem a bit more, it seems that chamber was
truncating atom type names to 4 characters which ends up potentially
conflating a large number of atom types into a single "slot" in the
parameter tables that chamber stores internally. This may result in
chamber doing something like using the CG324--HGA2 parameter for a bond
between atom types CG321 and HGA2.

From what I can tell at this point, ParmEd is doing the right thing. I
believe this only affects systems in which there are atom types longer than
4 characters long. It's easy enough to check chamber -- just use ParmEd to
create a chamber-style topology file and compare a single-point energy
between the two prmtops (inpcrd files should be compatible with both).

Special thanks to Marc for his help.

All the best,
Jason

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Marc van der Kamp <
marcvanderkamp.gmail.com

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher