Re: [AMBER] NaN and asterisks error in md.out, and mdinfo files

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:14:14 -0700

Hi Hoshin,

You are probably hitting some assumption we made in the GPU code.
Certainly I've never tried doing simulations of Gold surfaces with it and
that is way outside the scope of what most people would do.

Firstly, please confirm that you are using AMBER 14 with all the latest
patches. Look in your mdout file for the section that begins:
--------------------- INFORMATION ----------------------
| GPU (CUDA) Version of PMEMD in use: NVIDIA GPU IN USE.

And paste in the reported version and date here.

Next try running your heating and initial equilibration on the CPU and
then switch to the GPU and see if that helps.

Finally confirm that if you use the exact same input with the exact same
random seed (set ig explicitly) that the situation yields NANs at exactly
the same point. This is critical and will establish that it is a bug in
the code and not a misbehaving GPU.

Once you have done this and have a reproducible test case that shows this
behavior please post it here and we can try to figure out what the problem
is.

All the best
Ross