Re: [AMBER] this a very green neophyte's question.

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:05:03 -0600

Hi,

What you are attempting to do (parameterize ligands) is not simple,
and easy to do wrong. If you haven't already, it may be worth it to
look over a few of the Amber tutorials
(http://ambermd.org/tutorials/), at least the basic ones, to
familiarize yourself with Amber as a whole. The advanced tutorial A1
covers developing parameters with antechamber for non-standard
residues in MD simulations; you can also use RED server for developing
parameters. Better yet, check in the literature (and with google) to
see if the parameters you need have already been developed.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 3:47 PM, J.W. Halley <woods.woods1.spa.umn.edu> wrote:
> Certainly my file contains more than 10 residues. Am I supposed to
> generate a separate pdb file for the RET and CLR residues? I certainly
> don't know how to do that.

You can separate these residues out using the following cpptraj input:

# Load topology
parm protonpumprhodospinAR23AM6.pdb
# Load coordinates
trajin protonpumprhodospinAR23AM6.pdb
# Strip all but RET
strip !:RET
# Write RET out
outtraj RET.pdb
# Revert back to original
unstrip
# Strip all but CLR
strip !:CLR
# Write CLR out
outtraj CLR.pdb

Hope this helps,

-Dan

>> Once you feel comfortable with ligand paramterization you could alternatively use REDs, found here: http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS/ , to derive more accurate (when using a private account uses Guassian for backend calculations) RESP charges and optimized geometry files for RET and CLR for your simulation.
>>
>> Just remember, when using antechamber always remember to verify the automatically assigned atom types (found in the resulting .mol2) against the GAFF atom types found here: http://ambermd.org/antechamber/gaff.html#atomtype !
>>
>> Best,
>> Parker

Daniel R. Roe, PhD
Department of Medicinal Chemistry