Re: [AMBER] How to strip water from .mdcrd file?

From: Soumendranath Bhakat <bhakatsoumendranath.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 09:06:25 +0200

Hii;

What you can do is generate a corresponding topology and md.mdcrd file. If
you upload the topology in VMD (in VMD choose amber parm7 during uploading
topology) or Chimera you will get whole dynamical overview framewise. After

Here is a cool script you can use all in one

trajin md.mdcrd
autoimage
strip :WAT,CL- outprefix stripped
outtraj snaphot.pdb onlyframes 10000
trajout md_dry.mdcrd

see *outprefix* command will create a stripped topology of your original
one something like that stripped.com_solvated.top. *outtraj* command will
dump any PDB corresponding to frame number you define.

Now upload the md_dry.mdcrd and stripped.com_solvated.top in VMD to
visualise.

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Wujie Wang <wwang02.wesleyan.edu> wrote:

> Dear fellow AMBER users
>
> I am running a water and ion-explicit DNA simulation. I want to strip all
> the water molecules to visualize the simulation. I know cpptraj can help me
> remove all the water but do not know how to do it exactly.
>
> I think there may be two way to do it because my purpose is just to
> visualize the structure.
> 1) Strip water from prmtop and mdcrd files.
> 2) Convert mdcrd to pdb and stip water from pdb file. (This would work
> better for my analyzing work) I already know how to convert mdcrd to pdb
> but do not know how to strip water and ions from it.
>
> Can anyone tell how to do it or where I can find a document that explains
> how to cpptraj.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Wujie

Thanks & Regards;