Re: [AMBER] simulation differences in pmemd.MPI and pmemd.cuda

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:57:26 -0700

Hi Mani,

The hydrogen mass is hardwired in pmemd.cuda in AMBER 12 so if you are
modifying it in the prmtop file the sampling will be way off. If you have
AMBER 14 you should use that since that supports varying masses for
hydrogen.

If you only have AMBER 12 then first make sure you are fully up to date on
all patches - the mdout files should be reporting v12.3.1. Then edit
gputypes.cpp in $AMBERHOME/src/pmemd/src/cuda/ and change line 33 from
1.008 to the mass that your hydrogens should be. Then recompile
pmemd.cuda. (remember that you did this though since it will mess up
normal calculations).

If you want mixed masses for hydrogen then you will need to update to
AMBER 14.

Note with masses scaled to half their value it's possible that the system
won't be stable at 2.0fs. It is probably on the edge of stability as is
and shake is holding you together. The GPU shake 'may' be less tolerant of
integration errors than the CPU version so you may still have issues that
require the timestep to be reduced.

All the best
Ross