Re: [AMBER] Query about QM/MM calculation using Amber/Gaussian interface

From: Gerald Monard <Gerald.Monard.univ-lorraine.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 15:48:11 +0200

Hi,

On 06/13/2014 01:26 PM, Kshatresh Dutta Dubey wrote:
> Dear Jason,
>
> I am looking for QM optimization, I know that using imin=1 will give me
> minimized structure but I think that it will molecular mechanically
> minimize the system, but what for QM optimizations?

No. imin=1 will minimize the _whole_ system: QM _+_ MM, except if you
use some kind of restraints (ibelly, which is not recommended for
minimization).
Minimization means "energy minimization": you compute the energy of the
_whole_ system (QM + MM and their interactions), the gradient, and from
the latter, the minimization algorithm decide how to modify the
coordinates of the whole system to obtain a new set of coordinates that
should lead to a lower energy.
That is to say: to perform minimization, the algorithm must have
information on the whole system, not part of it.

If you refer to some kind of minimization algorithm as develop in the
group of Weitao Yang some years ago or in the group of Keiji Morokuma
(iterative minimization, J. Chem. Phys. 112, 3483--3492 (2000) or J.
Comp. Chem., 24, 760-769 (2003)), this is not implemented in Amber.

> If I have to use
> sander for minimization then what is the use of implementation of Gaussian
> interface? I am curious to know that - is it possible to perform QM
> optimization of QM region using external QM program and sander for MM
> region. If yes then what should I do? Using following input (complete
> input, I used) does not optimize the QM region, it does single point energy
> calculations only, while sander does optimize MM region.

In the input below, both regions are optimized at the same time (as
there is only 1 energy computed: a QM/MM energy).

Gerald.