Re: [AMBER] MM-PBSA for two drug molecules

From: Fabian Glaser <fglaser.technion.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:48:05 +0300

Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot for your quick response, what I am trying to do is the following:

I have two different ligands that are co-administered to patients, I want to learn about their mutual interaction or preferences in solution, to see if we can say something about the best way to do so (crystallization, nano-particles, etc.), so I did several simulations using just two copies of the ligands in water, but they just seem to escape each other during the simulation....

I have actually three systems in one: A+A, A+B or B+B, A and B being the two different molecules I have.

Thus I thought that calculating their interaction or free energy I would learn more about their mutual preferences. The truth is that I don't know how to this, since using ab-initio methods is very costly here.

If anybody has any suggestion how to study the interactions of two drugs in solution (or not) with amber, I would be very grateful.

Best,

Fabian Glaser
Technion, Israel

On Apr 24, 2014, at 2:38 PM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-04-24 at 13:46 +0300, Fabian Glaser wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am interested to calculate the free energy of interaction on many frames of MD for two drug like molecules, I plan the following:
>>
>> 1) Prepare the molecules with antechamber
>
> OK.
>
>> 2) Run MD in vacuum
>
> Don't do this.
>
>> or water
>
> Do this instead.
>
>> 3) Calculate MM-PBSA as you did for a protein-ligand on http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial3/
>>
>> Is that a good idea for two copies of drug molecules (e.g. RITONAVIR)?
>> Is the correct approach?
>> Is there any paper on that? I did not found any, but I am not an expert in the matter.
>>
>> Please note there is no protein involved here.... only two ligands.
>
> MM/PBSA will be of little use to you. An "interaction free energy" is
> difficult to compute using just energies (and don't forget, their
> interactions are strongly water-mediated so a simple pairwise summation
> between the molecules is unlikely to yield much insight).
>
> You can generate a general PMF using a radial distribution function, but
> I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Also don't
> forget that your free energy depends on your state (that is, the
> concentrations of each species), so it's important to specify what you
> want as specifically as possible (rather than just say "an interaction
> free energy"). It'll be easier to design an experiment or metric to
> measure what you want that way.
>
> Good luck,
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason M. Swails
> BioMaPS,
> Rutgers University
> Postdoctoral Researcher

_______________________________
Fabian Glaser, PhD

Head of the Structural Bioinformatics section
Bioinformatics Knowledge Unit - BKU

The Lorry I. Lokey Interdisciplinary
Center for Life Sciences and Engineering
Technion - Israel Institute of Technology
Haifa 32000, ISRAEL

fglaser.technion.ac.il
Tel: +972 4 8293701
Fax: +972 4 8225153