Re: [AMBER] Problem with REMD simulation

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:08:23 -0400

I agree with Jason, but also want to add my concern with watching the time
dependence of the REMD in this way. The fact that it originally "matched"
the experiment but later did not match should indicate that no matter which
force field you end up using, you need a way to reasonably estimate the
precision. A variety of "bad" force fields may result in the simulation
remaining in the native state for different lengths of time (as will
different REMD runs). None of those differences are directly indicative of
relative stability. You probably are looking for a measure of thermodynamic
stability under those conditions, which will need precision estimates (best
done from multiple runs initiated with different conformations). A short
REMD run that stays in the initial structure (whether it is folded or not)
won't tell you much about thermodynamic properties. Stopping the simulation
at a point where it matches the experiment isn't usually good science, in
my opinion.