Re: [AMBER] tleap output of mol2 format incorrect bond order/atom types

From: Browning, Nicholas <nicholas.browning08.imperial.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 09:47:04 +0000

I just find it a little strange that leap offers to produce mol2 files (which are a standardised file format and widely used by other simulation, graphical and modification toolsets), yet does not conform to the intended file format. However if leap does not load any information regarding explicit bond order, then naturally this is understandable.

> We *should* have tleap populate the element columns in the pdb files it
> outputs. Then OB could presumably do a pdb -> mol2 conversion without any
> need to change atom names.

This works great for standard residues, but when using non-standard residues OpenBabel has no way of knowing how to connect each atom other than based on distances, which can often produce incorrect connectivity. I've not yet found a structure that allows you to specify non-standard residue connectivity (similar to leaps .off file system) for reading PDBs.

I did not realise antechamber was capable of assigning correct bond orders - is there an example available which I can follow which applies to my situation of using non-standard residues /w PDB?

Cheers,

Nick