Re: [AMBER] deprotonated histidine parameters

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 08:17:39 -0500

On Tue, 2014-03-04 at 11:12 +0200, Ahmet yıldırım wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> How can I get/find the Amber force field parameters for the deprotonated
> histidine?

Histidine has 3 major protonation states at biological pHs.
Single-protonated at the delta- or epsilon- positions and
double-protonated (protonated at both). The first two states are
neutral, the third is positively charged.

You have to change the residue name of HIS to HIE or HID for epsilon- or
delta-protonated histidine, respectively (HIS is interpreted as HIE).
To get the double-protonated form, change the residue name to HIP.

A fully deprotonated histidine (no protons on either Ne or Nd) would
need to be parametrized (mainly just the charge derivation). See
http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial1_orig/ for example. Note
that this is a _highly_ unusual form of histidine that would only be
present at extremely high pHs (I've never seen the pKa value for the
second imidazole H since it rarely [ever??] comes off).

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher