Re: [AMBER] PME with cutoff = 0

From: Duke, Robert E Jr <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 19:06:33 +0000

The cutoff value of "0.d0" in pmemd for a pme run is equivalent to requesting that the default values be used - probably 8.0 angstrom, if memory serves, assuming igb 0 for a pme simulation. PME does strange things at small-ish cutoff, but does not allow 0 (in the sense that it says "oh, you wanted 8"), and I presume later catches and disallows cut < 0. In my experience, reducing the direct space cut below roughly 7.0 angstrom causes unacceptable error limits unless you increase grid density for reciprocal space (there is basically a balancing act between reciprocal and direct space in terms of what is necessary to keep error acceptable). And if you think long cutoffs are expensive, play around a bit with greatly increasing nfft1,2,3 in a large system :-}. So all I am really answering here is why pmemd ran - it basically ignored you... I would have to read the paper done with amber 4.1 to have a clue what they were really up to, but pmemd is designed to always use either pme or generalized Born, so resur
recting an old copy of sander may be your best bet..
Regards - Bob Duke