Re: [AMBER] Total charge not zero

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 07:08:55 +0100

Dear George,

> I have submitted the ligand to the RED server. Are the calculated charges
> in the force field library file Mol-sm_m1-c1.mol2, in 9th column?

Let's take an example - the mol3 file generated at:
http://cluster.q4md-forcefieldtools.org/~x/Project/P10708.html
     x = your cluster account (hidden)

head -n 14 Mol-sm_m1-c1.mol2
#
# Generated by R.E.D. Python version NOV-2013
# http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org
#
.<TRIPOS>MOLECULE
CKH
      39 41 1 0 1
SMALL
USER_CHARGES
.<TRIPOS>ATOM
     1 CAQ 0.314821 -0.308671 2.528001 CT 1 CKH -0.1785 0.8780 ****
     2 H1 0.678281 -0.454027 3.541891 HC 1 CKH 0.0793 0.1350 ****
     3 H2 -0.337581 -1.144493 2.289118 HC 1 CKH 0.0793 0.1350 ****
     4 H3 -0.281444 0.592544 2.511604 HC 1 CKH 0.0793 0.1350 ****

Yes, charge values are in the 9th column - you can compare the values
with these available in the RESP output. The 10th column is about
polarizability values required for the non-additive force field model
(you do not need that).

This mol3 file format (vs mol2) is described at:
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol3.php
(we have to describe the update of the mol3 file format concerning
pol. values)
    vs
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/leap-mol2.php

> If yes,
> they are quite different than AM1-BCC ones I got with AmberTools.

Well, this is a known problem-feature - this has been discussed
several times in the Amber & q4md-fft mailing lists.
See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2918240/
Charge values based on MEP depend on conformation and for a given
conformation on molecular orientation - only using R.E.D. & by
controlling the mol. orientation for a well defined conformation leads
to reproducible charge values.

Concerning AM1-BCC they are designed to reproduce MEP - so this is
_not_ surprising they are different from RESP charges. I do not use a
method 2 (AM1-BCC) that performs approximation compared to a method 1
(RESP), that costs almost nothing nowadays from a cpu point of view...
Approximation is useful, only when something costs something (just my
personal opinion)...

> I will re-run antechamber providing the charges calculated by RED

R.E.D. Server Dev./R.E.D. Python performs atom typing, frcmod & leaprc
file generation - besides charge derivation and force field library
building.
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS-Development/news.php
  vs http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS/news.php

In your case R.E.D. Python allows generating a force field for your molecule:
See the graphical interface of the project P10708:

     Force field parameters and LEaP script
      No File(s) Download
      1 frcmod.correspondence
      2 frcmod.known
      3 frcmod.unknown
      4 leaprc.ff13q4mdfft

- look at the frcmod.known & frcmod.correspondence files for known FF
parameters.
- look at frcmod.unknown to study FF parameters that you need to think about:

You can build your own frcmod.user file to provide to R.E.D. Python
missing FF parameters found in frcmod.unknown; here you control the FF
(missing or even known) you need (FF parameters in frcmod.user
overwrite others if duplicate are found):

See
http://cluster.q4md-forcefieldtools.org/~x/Project/P10708/Data-R.E.D.Server/Data-Default-Proj/frcmod.unknown

Set Re_Fit = "On" in Configuration.py
provide a new archive file that contains:
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS-Development/popup/poparchive.php
    - your frcmod.user file
    - your Configuration.py file
    - your Project.config file (if needed)
    - your previous R.E.D. Python job

Create the archive:
tar cvf Arch.tar frcmod.user Config*.py Proj*.config Mol_red*
Data-R.E.D.Server

Compress it to upload it more easily:
bzip2 -9 Arch.tar

At the end you just run the leaprc.ff13q4mdfft fil generated by R.E.D. Python:
xleap -f leaprc.ff13q4mdfft
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS-Development/images/RED-Python.gif

You can slightly adapt this leaprc.ff13q4mdfft file to add frcmod file
for tip3p water molecules, load new lib (solvent.lib), create alias if
needed etc... and finally generate your prmtop/prmcrd files.

I hope this helps...
regards, Francois