Re: [AMBER] Current system recommendations

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:21:37 -0500

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Jonathan Sheehan <
jonathan.sheehan.gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I'm following the recommendations at the bottom of this page (hoping
> they're still current):
> http://ambermd.org/gpus/recommended_hardware.htm
>
> I find that the ST1500 power supply is out of stock (as are many of
> the Silverstone models). I suspect I can replace it with a slightly
> lower-rated unit, since my budget really limits me to only 1 GPU.
>
> Does the Corsair RM1000 look like an acceptable replacement, for a
> single-GPU box?
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Gold-Certified-Power-Supply/dp/B00EB7UIZU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1390340839&sr=1-6&keywords=active
>
> Any other advice appreciated- Thanks!

I'm running a GTX 680 and a GTS 250 (to power the display) alongside 4
internal HDDs, an optical drive, and a AMD FX-6100 6-core processor on a
Thermaltake 850 W power supply and it has been as solid as a rock. I
powered a similar system on a 600 W PSU, although after ~5 years it began
to lock up occasionally under load (alleviated a bit with the 850 W PSU I
have now, but solved altogether with a new mobo and CPU/RAM in addition).

1000 W is likely way more than enough on a single GPU system (although I
would definitely recommend getting a separate GPU to power the display if
you plan on running a desktop environment on it -- that one can be in the
$0-$100 range).

This is just my experience...

HTH,

BioMaPS,