Re: [AMBER] cudaMemcpy GpuBuffer::Download failed unspecified launch failure

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 07:36:03 -0800

Hi Filip,

Try running the tests I sent you a couple more times. Go in and increase
nstlim about 4x before running it so it runs the test for longer and see
if any of the energies don't match. As soon as you see a mismatch or a
crash there it is indicative of a bad GPU.

That said the fact that this used to run well and now doesn't suggests top
me something wrong with the GPU. I'd quickly try updating to the 319.60
driver if you haven't already but I'd be surprised if it helps.

My suggestion would be to RMA it - I've had no trouble RMA'ing gear.
Typically I RMA it to the shop I bought it from (Amazon, Fry's etc) rather
than the manufacturer since that's generally easier. Just say that it
crashes or locks up in use (you don't have to say it is for GPU computing)
and that peripheral replacement with an identical model avoids the problem
proving that it is the GPU at fault. They will then replace it. I've never
heard of a manufacturer testing something like a GPU before sending a
replacement - their turnover is way too high for that to be cost effective.

Worst case if you bought it on a credit card most credit cards offer
extended warranty or purchase protection and you can just replace it
through that. American Express for example has a guarantee for
refund/replacement of a faulty product if the original seller refuses to
accept the return.

Hope that helps - just my experiences in life, this does not constitute
official advice blah blah blah and all that junk...

All the best
Ross