Re: [AMBER] RMSD vs RMSF vs nofit-RMSD

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 07:01:12 -0700

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Nitin Sharma <sharmanitin.nus.edu.sg>wrote:

> I know the definition of RMSD, RMSF and nofit-RMSD i.e. RMSD calculates
> the RMSD by fitting over the reference structure provided by the user. RMSF
> calculates RMSD but with respect to the average structure and nofit-RMSD
> calculates RMSD without fitting against the provided reference. Therefore
> the they give different results.

RMSF is a fundamentally different calculation than RMSD. RMSF (the
'atomicfluct' command in cpptraj/ptraj) is a local measure of motion; it
measures the mean fluctuation of atoms, i.e. how much each individual atom
moves around (the 'byres' keyword simply averages the results for each atom
on a per-residue basis). It is recommended that you RMS-fit to an averaged
structure prior to using the 'atomicfluct' command in order to remove
global rotational/translational motion, but the fitting is not part of the
RMSF calculation itself.

What I should use when I want to see the influence of the mobility of
> particular residues on ligand binding interaction?

For this I think that you can use either 'rmsd' with the 'perres' keyword
to calculate per-residue RMSD (which is a global RMS-fit followed by a
no-fit RMSD calculation for individual residues), or 'atomicfluct' with the
'byres' keyword.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

--