Re: [AMBER] Atom Expression in NAB

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 07:08:20 -0500

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM, sunita gupta <sunita.bio.gmail.com> wrote:

> My another concern is to change the cut-off parameter from 100(default) to
> 12 A while minimization using minab.
> I copied minab.c and minab.nab file into my local directory and changed the
> values, but could not succeed.
> Somewhere I read about recompilation...dont know how to do it.

minab.c is a temporary file -- it is not useful to you. To compile nab
programs, you need to use "nab" as the compiler. In this somewhat simple
case, you would use the command:

nab minab.nab

This will create a temporary (not useful) minab.c file as well as a program
named a.out. You can run this a.out program:

./a.out

> Also, I want
>

> to know abo
>
> ut MPI implementation in NAB .

it parallelizes some features of NAB. The MPI nab compiler is "mpinab"
instead of "nab" (much like mpicc and mpif90 instead of the C compiler and
Fortran 90 compiler). Just use "mpinab" instead of "nab":

mpinab minab.nab

You can then use "mpirun" to run multiple threads of this new program:

mpirun -np 8 ./a.out

A (better) alternative to parallelizing NAB programs is to use OpenMP. You
would need to configure with the -openmp flag. Note that OpenMP and MPI
are considered advanced options, especially for NAB, so you will need to
experiment a bit to work out the best way to run in parallel on your
system. A couple comments: not every part of NAB is parallelized (like the
normal mode part, to my knowledge). Unless you plan on doing
time-intensive tasks (like implicit solvent dynamics or long
minimizations), it is probably better to just use serial nab.

Good luck,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher