Re: [AMBER] parmed.py setBond

From: Aronica, Pietro <pietro.aronica07.imperial.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:25:21 +0000

A premise: I'm working with an experimental protocol that requires a lot of custom residue and atom types and precise manipulation of the prmtop files. It has been described as "a prmtop-based FEP scheme" by Jason himself, and that's not far from the truth. Because of the settings of my system, it is crucial that the exclusion list is kept the way I originally make it in order to avoid instabilities and failures. Indeed, I manually edited the prmtop files to change only the bond length I needed to modify (which is what I expected parmed.py to do) and the issue disappeared.
The command is as follows:

setBond :MKN.CH :MKA.CG 340 1.526
setOverwrite
parmout Solv_100_0.prmtop

There's a few more, varying from 10_90 to 100_0, with different values for the equilibrium distance and the force constant. In each case, the bond parameters are correctly modified, but in addition the number of excluded atoms goes from 28762 to 28755. I'm wading through the exclusion list to pinpoint the change, but it arises from the custom residue where the bond is modified. That is the only instance of the bond in the system.
I figure it's probably my delicate prmtop manipulations that are causing this, but I don't understand why the setBond command should touch the exclusion list at all if the bond is already there and connectivity is unchanged.
Kind regards
Pietro