Re: [AMBER] About foundations of T-REMD

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:42:28 -0400

I'm not sure what you mean by a simulation obeying the Central Limit
Theorem. That is related to the Law of Large Numbers and a characteristic
of random variables. A simulation

The Ergodic Hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis. I don't think it can be
proven in general, but may be proven or dis-proven for certain systems (I'm
afraid I don't know of any specific examples beyond the 1d harmonic
oscillator).

There is sometimes talk in the literature of things being "more ergodic" or
"less ergodic," but I think the terminology is not necessarily standard. I
suppose a statement such as "T-REMD simulations may be more ergodic than
conventional MD simulations." would be seen as rather inoffensive by the
general community.

Regards,
Brian

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello:
> There was recently a thread here on T-REMD, which was very much
> instructive. Reexamining the points raised, I was now wondering whether the
> "central limit theorem" and the "ergodic hypothesis" are obeyed by a
> correct T-REMD. Beg pardon if these questions have already been explicitly
> or implicitly answered, and I missed the point.
>
> thanks
>
> francesco pietra

================================ Current Address =======================
 Brian Radak                                             :     BioMaPS
Institute for Quantitative Biology
 PhD candidate - York Research Group       :     Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities         :     Center for Integrative
Proteomics Room 308
 Graduate Program in Chemical Physics     :     174 Frelinghuysen Road,
 Department of Chemistry                          :     Piscataway, NJ
08854-8066
 radak004.umn.edu                                 :
radakb.biomaps.rutgers.edu