Re: [AMBER] Problem in deriving RESP charges with RED-3.52 tools

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 07:21:40 +0200

Dear Sajeewa,

> I am now running RED tools on Ubuntu. To do the optimization I used the
> gaussian input file created by the Ante_RED-1.5.pl. That input file has "
> #P hf/6-31G* Opt=(Tight,CalcFC) Freq SCF(Conver=8) Test" as keywords. Then
> using the log file generated by gaussian and the p2n file generated by
> Ante_RED-1.5.pl I ran RED-v3.5.pl and it gives me the following error.

pay attention when using Ante_R.E.D. 1.x!
see http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDS/news.php#2
     Ante_R.E.D. 2.0 vs Ante_R.E.D. 1.x

> * Selected optimization output *
> GAUSSIAN
> Invalid optimization OUTPUT !
>
> A frequency job is found after the geometry optimization
> You need to remove this frequency job from the Gaussian output
>
> According to the keywords used by the Ante_RED generated input file, a
> frequency calculation is done. Should I just remove the 'freq' keyword and
> do the optimization and then run RED or is there something else I need to
> know?

You could:
- remove the Freq keyword in the Ante_RED output, run Gaussian and use
the Gaussian input directly as it is as in input for R.E.D. with the
P2N file.
- run Gaussian with the Freq keyword; then save the output with the
Freq job and remove the Freq job from the output to be used as input
for RED.

job Opt=Tight Freq
geometry optimization
Stationary point found
Normal termination of Gaussian
... !
frequency job ! part of the output
... ! to be removed
Normal termination of Gaussian ! to be used by RED

all that is defined in the tutorial:
http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/Tutorial/Tutorial-1.php#6
   section -4- line in red color...

all that is fully handled by R.E.D. Python...

regards, Francois