Re: [AMBER] about rms atomic fluctuation for protein crystal .thank you very much!

From: Pawel <pawelrc.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 12:04:40 -0400

Hi Aimee,

Without seeing your data directly it is hard to tell what could be
happening. Having said that, a few comments,

1. Your general interpretation of Figure 8 referring to "bfac_lat" and
Figure 9 to "bfac_asu" is correct. However:

2. The BasicAnalysis.sh script you are using was written after the paper
you are referring to, so the analysis is not directly comparable. In
particular, the "bfac_lat_calpha" in Figure 8 where calculated using a
different approach than the one used in BasicAnalysis. In general,
BasicAnalysis is still just a prototype, not documented, and requires
some work before an official release is made.

3. Before running SplitTrajectory.py make sure that in each frame of
your trajectory the center of mass of the entire supercell is exactly
aligned with the center of mass of the supercell produced from the
original PDB asymmetric unit coordinates (i.e. a supercell where one of
the asymmetric units has exactly the same coordinates as the PDB).

4. After RevSym_netcdf.py, visually inspect the individual trajectories
in the revsym directory to see if they are aligned with the original
asymmetric unit. I usually add a frame to my trajectory which has the
supercell created from the original pdb coordinates. When you run
RevSym_netcdf.py, each of the asymmetric units from this frame should
align perfectly with the original PDB. If not, there is an error either
with how the centers of mass are being aligned or with how the symmetry
operations are being applied.

5. You mention "all atomic positions haven't rescaled at any steps. " If
you were running a constant pressure simulation you want to make sure
you are rescaling coordinates to account for fluctuations in the box
size at each step.

Hope these ideas point you in the right directions. Let us know if you
have questions,
Pawel