Re: [AMBER] SHAKE flucatuation

From: Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:19:09 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

> I ran a MD simulation with pmemd.cuda for a pure water box of 1994 water
> molecules with SHAKE algorithm turned on. But when I checked the bond
> length and H-O-H angle of the water molecules, they still fluctuated for
> around 0.1~0.2. In my case I need to make the water molecule perfectly
> rigid.

If the O-H or O-O bond length fluctuates by 0.1-0.2 Angstroms, then this
is a real problem as there would be no energy conservation, likely the
integrator would fail, etc...

I just checked one of my simulations and see that the fluctuations
(standard deviation) of O-H or H1-H2 bond lengths are ~0.0004 A and
~0.04 degrees for the H1-O-H2 angle for a salt solution that was run with a
SHAKE tolerance of 0.00001, so how are you estimating the ranges?

If I plot the time dependent bond/angle length, the range of values is
approximately +/-0.0015 A or +/-0.1 degree.

If you want it to be "more" rigid, increase the SHAKE tolerance. However,
it is numerically difficult (effectively infinitely small tolerance) to
get it completely rigid.

--tec3