Re: [AMBER] Generation of melting curves

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 10:49:43 -0400

I agree with Dan, you can use whatever measure you want for "native", and
as long as you understand what structures you're including, it's
technically valid. The difficulty comes when you try to compare to
experiments, especially if you're using the melting curve to validate your
work. You should probably use metrics that are closely related to the
experimental observables. Be very careful not to compare things that don't
probe the same structure regions, or even the same kinds of "structure".
For example, using RMSD to compare to experimental CD data could be
problematic, unless you know that the two metrics are highly correlated. In
other words, the problem isn't in how you calculate the melting curve, it's
in how you interpret it.

for some recent examples from my lab, look at

   1. Improved Generalized Born Solvent Model Parameters for Protein
   Simulations
   Hai Nguyen, Daniel R. Roe, and Carlos Simmerling
   Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation *2013* *9* (4), 2020-2034
   http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ct3010485