Re: [AMBER] Running Amber on a SGI cluster

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:30:38 -0700

So that's like, what? < 23000 atoms.

That's likely what is limiting your scaling.

Things that affect scaling:

1) Atom count - more atoms will scale better
2) FFT dimensions - larger NFFT values will scale better
3) cut off - larger cutoffs will run slower but scale better
4) ntt=3 - the langevin thermostat hurts scaling - berendsen and anderson
scale better.
5) NPT - constant pressure runs don't scale as well due to the all to all
in virial.

You are probably just at the limit for such a small system. Note scaling
for DHFR NPT tops out on Gordon at 64 cores of E5-2670 GPUs [at
44.2ns/day] (8 core sandybridge with decent memory bandwidth) - note this
is dual channel QDR IB.

What is the IB you have on your system? - is it dual channel QDR or single
channel FDR? (or something worse?)

Specifically which xeon chips are these? Are they the models prior to
Sandybridge? - The memory bandwidth pre-sandybridge was notoriously bad
and so one typically saw very poor performance if all the cores in a node
were used. Try using just 8 cores per node and see if that helps.

All the best
Ross