Re: [AMBER] Word of caution for Xcode 5, Mac OS X

From: M. L. Dodson <mldodson.comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 22:05:24 -0500

On Sep 20, 2013, at 8:58 PM, Julio Dominguez <acheron24.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Anber users:
> I have updated my Xcode and compilers to the latest version (5.0) and cannot compile amber 12 anymore. I won't go into details since this is my fault for living on the edge. However, if anybody is wondering if upgrading to Xcode 5 will not break Amber 12, don't count on it.
> Well, time to downgrade Xcode.
> Regards.

I haven't tried amber 12 (don't have a license any more), but I just went
through this this evening trying to use MacPorts after upgrading from
Lion (10.7.x) to Mountain Lion (10.8.x). Here's what worked for me: You
must get the new Xcode from the App Store and install it. However, the
command line tools are not installed by default. You must go to the
Downloads tab under Preferences. You will see several download options,
and the command line tools are one of them.

You must create a developer's account. I registered as an app developer
(non-App Store). It was the only category that remotely fit me.

You must also reinstall a new X11 if you need MacPorts. This may be
specific to my MacPorts problem after Lion->Mountain Lion.

After this, install the command line tools (and any other stuff you find
useful on the Downloads tab.). I use csh, so used this sequence as my
test (most of you can substitute the equivalent bashism):

rehash; which make

Before the CL tools install, I had no make. Afterwards, I did.

Don't know if this will solve the problem, but it helped me: After
upgrading all my outdated MacPorts I could compile the new release
candidate of snobol4 . That was the trigger of all this hocus pocus,
after all.

Bud Dodson
--
M. L. Dodson
Business email: activesitedynamics-at-gmail-dot-com