Re: [AMBER] issue running AMBER on double sockets hexa cores

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:15:02 +0200

On 18.09.2013 17:00, Pascal Bonnet wrote:
> Dear Ross and Dave,
>
> Thank you for your swift feedback.
> Using pmemd.mpi is indeed much faster (x2 compared to sander.mpi). We
> have indeed deactivating hyperthreading.
>
> By deactivating hyperthreading we loose speed increase. As you said, all
> 12 threads run on the same socket and only 50% of the cpus are used.

With deactivated hyperthreading (HT), you absolutely need to make sure
that all 12 cores are equally used when spawning 12 pmemd.MPI processes
via mpirun. If this is not the case, your MPI environment is improperly
set up for this type of application. It dictates a certain CPU affinity
that you do not want. This is what you need to solve. It could be that
you need to provide more commandline parameters to the mpirun command in
order to get the CPU affinity straight.

> However by activating hyperthreading, we used the two sockets as seen by
> the top command, but we observe a speed decrease from using 6 to 8 cpus
> and it increases slowly again up to 12 cpus. So it seems there is a lack
> of communication between sockets.
> Have you already observed such behavior?

In any case, a solution to your problem should not be a compromise à la
with-hyperthreading-it-somehow-works. Don't invest time here. It must
properly work without HT.

Hyperthreading can be good for desktop workstations since it quite
efficiently allows for concurrently running more processes than CPU
cores available. However, for HPC, you should always only run as many
compute processes as you have cores available. In this kind of scenario,
HT never helps and should be deactivated in order to not complicate
things (it might confuse certain batch schedulers etc).