Re: [AMBER] best Generalized Born solvation model for intrinsically disordered peptides

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 12:01:49 -0400

Thomas,
here are some of my thoughts on this...
if you look at the igb8 article we show that indeed there does remain some
modest helical overstabilization relative to TIP3P simulations (when both
are highly converged). It would probably be most evident in systems with
free energies close to zero, such as yours. Of course we've done no
extensive testing with the protein force field you mention, but looking at
the 99SB results in the igb8 paper might give you some extra insight into
what to expect. 99SB is slightly underhelical in my experience, so works
well with igb8, with a bit of error cancellation. Both errors are probably
a couple tenths of kcals. If you use a force field that is more helical
than 99SB, then indeed you might find that igb8 gives too much helix
compared to experiment. The GB models we use do have limitations, and it's
important to know what those are when interpreting results, especially for
systems with very weak intrinsic structure preferences where any small bias
can easily shift the equilibrium. With more stable structures, a few tenths
of kcal shift tends to have less apparent impact on the equilibrium
structure ratios (because of the log scale).

 What's important here I think is that usually there is a tradeoff between
accuracy and ease of sampling (and GPU performance these days). The GB
models will cost you some accuracy but usually give you much improved
precision. If you've got ways to sample in explicit solvent that give you
the precision that you need, then almost certainly you're better off doing
that than using a more approximate model. In my opinion, one of the keys to
success in this field is still in making judgments about when certain
approximations are reasonable for the specific scientific goals of a given
project. Even a "good" result is usually the result of some well-designed
compromises....
hope that helps.
carlos